Monday 28 September 2009

137 questions!

wow - such an interesting title. I can hear everyone snoozing just at the sound of it.

That's 137 questions written and asked in one week. Phew. Just need to ask one more set and I can go back to normal. (Whatever that is)

I already host at Double Standards on a Sunday, and at EyeQ on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which usually means I write about 72 questions a week. (give or take the odd bonus and the odd question I decide I don't like on the day). So what happened this week.

Well once a month I co host at Moysies with Ana. I originally set this trivia up with Moysie with the words 'You're hosting trivia starting next Monday. I'm putting the money up and asking the questions so you just turn up.' Or something very like that. At the time it co-incided with an increase in my other hosting duties so I decided to enrol some help. One person stood out for me and was the only one I considered asking and that was Ana. Originally the plan was to take it in turns to host every other week, but it soon turned in to Ana's event, and boy has she made it her own. I always knew she'd be a great host and she is - and Analytical trivia is now well established on the trivia map, with her own inimitable style. Just don't even attempt to read her rules! Once a month we get together and ask 15 questions each. One of us will have a theme - this week Ana is asking 15 questions about numbers in films - and the other person links their questions in with these.

This month was the first month I think, were I couldn't use the answers to Ana's questions to link mine too. She was doing even numbers, so I had to try to write my questions based solely on her questions, without giving any clues to what the film or theme of the quote might be. When I eventually worked out which words to pick it was relatively easy and I only needed to alter 2 questions which Ana felt might give too much of a clue to hers. (And ok I had to alter one which I'd missed a word out of and in doing so made the answer completely, totally and utterly wrong).

I like doing these themed events with Ana, not only because it's good to host with a friend, but because it provides a small challenge to the question writing too. So for this week that added an extra 15 questions on to my total - so we're up to 87.

I'd also offered to give Lucki a break at Demented Souls. She was originally planning to be away and needed someone to cover, but in the end she didn't go. She still thought she'd like a week off, so I offered to help out.

Demented Souls do word games on a Saturday night, and are a constant source of my hyterics every weekend. (Not just mine either - there's a lot of tears rolling down cheeks as we laugh at some of the things we come up with)

The first half of the evening is called Tribonds. We're given 3 words and we have to find the word that connects them. eg Bean - Mug - Ground. The common word would be Coffee. What usually happens is we pick one word and shout out whatever comes to mind, and needless to say we get copped out with some very silly (and often naughty) answers too. The 2nd half is something called Madgabs. We're given a common saying which has been slightly altered and we have to make sense of it. Did I say 'make sense'? eg 'Prayers eye don't' would become President. (It helps it you take your glasses off, smush your face and have several drinks) These have been responsible for some amazing typos (tasyour earfpooof) and we're quite good at re smushing the words to come up with some very obscure sayings too.

Now I can't write Madgabs so I did something different - Ditloids. Those familiar with Lotus' blog will know that these are what she originally had on there. (365 DIAY - 365 days in a year). My dad's been writing these for a long time now, so it seemed logical that I should try these on the poor unsuspecting Demented lot. Just one word of warning. When writing these - make sure you don't just write down the ditloid. Make sure you put what it is - I've still got some I can't remember what they were.

I was nervous as I always am when I host a different event, but the crowd there are always very friendly and great fun, and apart from the fact that Lucki was there heckling me about my English words (I'm English! get over it!) I think they enjoyed themselves. They certainly did well with the Ditloids, which I thought were quite hard. Whether I'll host here again remains to be seen. If Lucki needs a break and they want me back then I'm sure I'll be there.

And that's the other 50 questions. Total 137 for the week. And, yeah, Ok I slightly got a couple not quite right, but is that hardly surprising?

Now - I'm off to a dark room for a lie down with no books or encyclopeadias or ..... oh wait? Tuesday's Alphabet is J! And I'm doing CBA with Lotus next week! Guess I better get going again.

2 comments:

  1. 137 is just amazing Cully! I grumble if I have 50 to do!

    And I just finished my 15 questions for our Pub Quiz next week, so no let up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh now I feel so lazy I get tired making ten a week !

    ReplyDelete